52 Blog Post Ideas for Artists
In the last blog post, I gave you 8 awesome reasons artists should consider blogging, and so many of you emailed me and said something like, “Well that’s great Jules, but I have no idea what to write about!” So I decided to come up with 52 blog post ideas for artists. (Wasn’t that thoughtful? 😁)
But before we get started, one of the things you want to consider when using these topics or coming up with one (or more) of your own is this:
Who is your target reader?
[bctt tweet=”I see artists blogging like their target readers are other artists. But are they?” username=”OhHeyCB”]
Sometimes I see artists blogging like their target readers are other artists. But are they? I mean, some of that is okay… but you really want to target art buyers, as well. (Not that other artists aren’t also art buyers, but you’re really blogging for patrons, not peers.) So I really tried to come up with ideas that would appeal to potential patrons, and maybe even press or other blogs that may want to feature you and/or your art.
Okay, I can already hear you asking, so…
But Jules, what if I’m a terrible writer?
Well, you’re probably better than you think you are, first of all. But second, if that is the case, get help! You could ask a friend with a keen eye to go over your post before you hit publish. Or even hire someone to do that (you can pay as little as $5 for that service on fivver.com).
What do I do once everything is perfect and I hit publish?
That’s when you promote it! Make sure you use long, tall images in your blog post so you get maximum exposure on Pinterest (about 735×1200 pixels work best). You can use a graphic like I have for this post, but you can also include shots of your artwork, your studio, and other relevant images. Pin them all! You can also Tweet about it, share it on Facebook, and post it to Instagram. (And/or any other social media sites you use and/or love.) You can also share it with your email list. (You are building an email list, right? 😉 )
Okay, let’s jump to it!
52 Blog Post Ideas for Artists
- X# of ways to live with art
- How to choose the right sized art for your space
- Celebrating small wins with your art
- Share some guilty pleasures
- Your favorite artists from history
- Your favorite living artists
- Favorite art books
- Your favorite art documentaries
- Write about your favorite art teacher(s)
- Talk about the tools you use to create your art
- My art strives to…
- As an artist I want to…
- Write about how you get unblocked
- What inspires your art
- What have you learned, being an artist?
- Tell your story: when did you first discover art? When did you first know you were an artist? Did you go to school? Or are you self-taught?
- Interview another artist you admire
- Share your favorite art blogs
- Your favorite podcasts to listen to while painting/making
- A DIY art project for “non-artists”
- Write about an upcoming show you’ll be in
- How travel influences your art
- What it was really like to go to art school
- Share your studio space
- A recent art museum experience
- A drawing or painting tutorial
- Talk about how you title your artworks
- Share the progress of a piece, from start to finish (with many WIP shots along the way)
- Make video of you painting/making
- Write about a new gallery you’re in
- Do a challenge and blog about it (like a painting a day, or the #100dayproject)
- Write about an artist collaboration you did
- Share any recent press / media mentions
- Write about your process
- You latest work (with tall, thin photos perfect for sharing on Pinterest!)
- Write about a series of work you created
- Thinking about donating a portion of your art proceeds to a charity or cause? Blog about that
- Share tips for framing art
- Write about creating a gallery wall to display art
- Create a list of your favorite art museums, and your favorite pieces within each one.
- How have your relationships influenced your art?
- Write about your creative practice
- How has your art/style evolved over time?
- If you could be anything besides an artist, what would you be, and why?
- Tell a story about how a specific piece of art moved you
- Talk about the products you use to create your art and why you chose them
- How do you come up with ideas for your artwork?
- What is your favorite art movement and why?
- Write about what it feels like to be an artist in today’s world
- If you’re a parent, write about how that effects your art
- Share drawings from your sketchbook and why they are important to make
- Share patron feedback and/or any photos they shared with your art in their homes.
So there you go! If you blog once a week, this is a year’s worth of blog posts, and if you blog once or twice a month, this list will last a lot longer than that! You can also get this list of 52 blog post ideas for artists as a 1 page printable PDF (with handy check mark circles for when you use each topic – yay!) here: